Thursday, June 10, 2010

Geronimo Stilton

The perenially popular Geronimo Stilton is constantly in demand at my library. Originally written in Italy, they're an amazing import for emerging readers. They're perfect beginning chapter books that capture kids who are transitioning from picture books and readers to novels.


Book: Lost Treasure of the Emerald Eye by Geronimo Stilton

Vital Stats: Published in 2004 by Scholastic, 116 pages, full color throughout
Awards:
Marketed Toward: Ages 9 to 12
The Quick and the Short of It: Highly recommended!

Book Synopsis
Geronimo Stilton is harried newspaper man living in a world of mice. He likes cheese and a quiet orderly life. All of that is turned topsy turvy when his sister, Thea, shows up with a treasure map and convinces him to join him on an adventure. They're also joined by their cousin Trap and a stowaway. As they make a brave sea voyage, they might just discover that what they though of as a treasure is different than the treasure they find.

My Take
These books are unbelievably colorful and engaging. Words are often written in a fun color and font in the middle of the text for emphasis. (Think like a comic book with POW being surrounded by a balloon.) Perhaps it's my grownup brain, but it took me about half the book to adjust to that, yet children eat them up. As of this writing none of the copies (and we have many) are available at my library because they're all checked out. Yesterday I had three children ask for these book by name within 90 minutes. They're fun, sweet, adventurous, and wonderful. These are at the top of my list of recommended books in the beginning chapter book range. (So in my opinion, probably works well for kids ages 7 to 10.)

Possible Issues/Christian Connection
I didn't see any issues in this book. Recommending without reservation.

Education Connection
Did you know that I write another blog? It's more geared for professional librarians and covers library programming and issues. One of my favorite programs is a book club for 1st to 3rd graders (age 6 to 9). Here is an entry about when we used this book as our book club choice. I've actually re-done this book club since then and should post an update. You might find some fun ideas to use even at home when your children read the Geronimo Stilton books.

0 comments:

Post a Comment